Why Katniss & Gale Should’ve Ended Up Together

This post is dedicated to my lovely grandfather. The day I’m posting this will be his 79th birthday! I love him very much and he’s super special to me. Now, back to regularly scheduled events! P.S I love you a lot. Happy 79th dude. This one’s for you. (Also, for all you creeps out there, my grandfather loves the Hunger Games. He talks about it all the time- this isn’t just a random post. Maybe not this specific topic, but nevertheless I’m writing it).

Alright, I’ve gotten myself into this mess. Katniss should’ve ended up with Gale. There, I said it. You happy? Honestly if you know me in real life, I talk about this all the time. It’s probably not good for me, but I’m invested either way.

I originally read the Hunger Games in fourth grade back in 2013. Looking back on it now, I started it a little young considering it’s a Y/A novel. Along with the Hunger Games, I read Divergent in fifth grade. Apparently I just loved dystopian books in elementary school and to be honest, I still do. I remember doing a bubble chart or a flow-map whatever on the Hunger Games- that’s how young I was when I read it. Do not let my youth fool you, I’ve reread it many times over the years. I am prepared to have this debate.

Peeta absolutely sucks. Maybe it’s Josh Hutcherson V. Liam Hemsworth in my mind, but Gale is superior. I’m not just talking about looks, okay? There are… other reasons… too.

Gale had always been there for Katniss. Always. They had grown up together in District 12 and he had provided for her family when she was too weak to do so, including during her time in the games. Peeta is just helpless. When it was announced that two victors could be crowned from the same District, Katniss was literally the one who had to find a dying Peeta and nurse him back to health. To save him from death, she even fake fell in love with him. Their.. tragic relationship… also shows how caring and kind Katniss is towards other people, but she’s really out here doing charity work with Peeta. He is so helpless that it’s embarrassing.

His main skill is throwing 100 pound bags of flour. Throwing a 100 pound bag of flour. I’m not making this up. Out of the entire three books and four movies, that is his main skill that he shows off. During the training sessions before the games, they showcase him throwing a metal ball. He throws things- that’s it. What’s he going to do during the games, de-root a tree and throw it at his attacker? It’s absolute nonsense. Maybe he’s a ‘sweet boy’ that’s kind, but physically during the rebellion he’s useless, and that’s all Katniss seems to care about. That’s all he’s good for! He gets himself kidnapped, stabbed, and drugged and poor Katniss has to come to his rescue. He even gets captured after the Quarter Quell and loses his memory and Katniss falls in love with him again. How? Why? It’s embarrassing how much of nothing he does.

Also, his name is Peeta. He’s named after pita bread… get it? Because he’s a baker? Haha. Very funny, thanks Suzanne Collins. It’s really lame and I feel like that should be a point in itself.

I guess this next one is a pity point, but Josh Hutcherson is only 5’7 and that’s a negative for me. Not that height matters, but c’mon, Liam Hemsworth is 6’3. In the books, Gale is supposed to be two years older than Katniss and Peeta, but you don’t grow eight inches in two years. I mean, that’s not normal. And Liam is a Hemsworth, by default he’s superior.

Even more so, Peeta faked an engagement and a baby with Katniss. Without letting her know. Are you serious? Literally on national television broadcasting to the entirety of Panem he let everyone know that she was pregnant (she wasn’t actually and he didn’t tell her he was going to do that beforehand).

Overall, Gale is just superior in every way. You can argue with me all you want, but this is my opinion and I am standing by it. I obviously have a bias towards Liam Hemsworth, as you can tell, but I really just don’t like Josh Hutcherson. Also, since the Hunger Games, what has he even been in? I feel like he’s peaked.

To My Grandfather

Oh, I love you so much. It’s crazy that you’ve lived this long! I’m not complaining though. Seventy-nine, wow. Mom told me to make you a card, but I figured you might like this better since it doesn’t waste any paper and it will be on the internet forever. I am so appreciative of you, more than you probably know. I’m also grateful that you drove me to school today in the middle of a flood. Everything you do for me is so lovely and I’m incredibly thankful that you’re here. Let’s aim for eighty! I love you very much. Did I ever tell you that I read all three books in the Hunger Games?